Good Morning Lovely Friends,
I have always wanted to write blog posts about beauty, simply because I am such a girly girl at heart! I never thought beauty posts fit into my particular blogging niche, and yet… it totally does! A radiant young woman cultivates inner beauty first… but that doesn’t mean she neglects her outward appearance.
As a young woman interested in beauty and learning how to properly adorn myself… I’ve often had to rely on worldly and carnal sources to learn how to care for my hair or learn new beauty tips and tricks. It would have been so nice to have a godly and biblical perspective when it comes to beauty.
I often see two extremes – girls who spend way too much time on the outward appearance and those who barely spend anytime on how they look. I think both extremes are a poor testimony and a poor representation of Christ.
So that’s why I am choosing to write about beauty today.
→ After you read this post, please leave a comment with your thoughts on outer beauty, as well as your interest in seeing posts on beauty every now and then.
The following tips are just the basics for every young woman. You may have heard some of them before, others are just basic things I have learned over the course of my teen years.
Basic Beauty Tips for Young Women
Before we get started, let me say one more thing… as a Christian young woman I think beauty is very important. Even in the Bible we read of beautiful women such as Eve, Sarah, Rebekah, and Abigail. Beautiful character will set you apart more than anything else, however, it’s still very important to care for the outside. As a Christian young woman representing Christ, we need to do our best to look our best. Not for vanity or to draw undue attention to ourselves, but to take care of what God has given us and look our best for HIS honor and glory.
“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel…” 1 Timothy 2:9
Okay, now onto the tips!
Take Care of Your Skin
When I think of outward radiance… I think of someone with radiant skin. This is by far the most difficult part of beauty (for me) because I have had skin issues since my early teen years. However, our skin is the largest organ on our body, and it’s also the first thing people see when they look at our face! Therefore, it’s important that we learn how to take care of our skin!
First, I will share some basic tips, then I will share what works best for me personally!
Basic Skin Care Tips:
- Drink LOTS of Water. You knew this was coming first right? This is probably the #1 most important thing, yet the #1 thing I neglect the most 🙁 Our bodies need water to function properly and to moisturize our skin. When we drink lots of water everything just works better, we have more energy, our skin is replenished, etc. This is probably the easiest and cheapest beauty tip out there, but it’s a good one! 🙂
- Get Your Sleep. Our skin rejuvenates itself when we sleep. So, if you aren’t getting enough zzz’s then you’re not giving your skin enough time to do it’s thing. I know it’s hard, but aim for at least 8 hours of shut eye each night. Your skin will thank you!
- Be careful what you put ON your skin. If you have any kind of skin issues such as acne, or extreme dryness, you may want to double check what you are using on your skin. For me personally, certain skin care products or foundations give me terrible breakouts. When it comes to your skin, consider organic or homemade skin care products and face makeup. Less is more when it comes to the products you put on your body!
There is a lot more I could add to that list, but those are just three very basic and easy starters. And now, here’s what has worked wonders for me…
- Norwex Anti-Bacterial Cloths. Last Spring I started washing my face with water only while using these cloths at night to remove my makeup. It’s SO simple and my skin always looks it’s best when I am using a fresh one of these cloths. They are soft as well as gently exfoliating = it’s a win-win 😉
- The right kind of face makeup. Some foundations make me break out… so I have had to be careful what kind I use. Even some organic brands clog my pores and give me cystic acne. This is the brand I currently use and love: Physicians Formula Organic Wear
- Moisture, moisture, moisture. I load up my face with lots of oil before going to bed. It helps my skin so much. My all time favorite oil is argan (this is my favorite brand for pure argan oil). Argan oil is a little pricier than some oils, but so worth it. A cheaper substitute that works great is olive oil. Currently I am using an argan oil blend I received for Christmas. It contains argan + lavender oil and works great! It’s also very “clean” and free from chemicals…. Yaaay! I couldn’t find the exact one on Amazon but here is a similar scent from the same company: EO Essentials Botanical Body Oil
That’s about all (for now) about skin care – now onto the next thing!
Get Your Exercise
If you read my goals for March, you, saw that I am trying to get back into a healthy/fit mindset. I have been more intentional about my workouts this month and boy, do I ever feel so much better! Working out and being fit isn’t just about looking good -it’s about getting the exercise your body needs and feeling better as a result. Working out always gives my skin an added glow and gives me a boost of confidence. Some workouts are hard, so when I’m finished I feel like I have accomplished something. It’s motivating.
The more you exercise and workout, the more motivated you will be to take care of yourself in other ways. Spending time getting fit is often just the motivation I need to clean up my diet and get my sleep.
There are so many ways to exercise right from home. Whether it’s taking a walk or run outside to following an out home workout online, start with something small and go from there. You will feel so much better as a result.
Encouraging you to get your exercise may not seem like a beauty tip – but it IS. When you feel your best, you LOOK your best. Exercise will give you a glow, help you lose excess weight, and help give you confidence which is even better than external beauty!
Wear A Little Makeup (in Moderation)
When it comes to makeup, the goal is enhancement. Our goal as young women, should be to draw attention to our face, not our bodies. If you do wear makeup, don’t go overboard. Use enough to enhance your face and your best features and/or conceal any skin issues or blemishes.
Tip: Be careful of certain makeup trends. Dark smoky eyes, bright red lips, harsh black eyeliner, and other bold makeup trends are very worldly looks. Before you go out wearing certain makeup trends, make sure what’s on your face is properly representing Christ.
My “face makeup” is either organic or homemade, but the rest is still drugstore brands. Here are some of my favorites if you’re interested in checking them out
- Tinted Moisturizer: Physicians Formula Organic Wear Tinted Moisturizer (for light coverage)
- Foundation: Physicians Formula Organic Wear CC Cream (for thicker coverage)
- Powder: homemade recipe using corstarch, cocoa, and cinnamon
- Mascara: Maybelline Lash Sensational
- Lipstick: Warm Me Up by Maybelline (my #1 favorite lipstick!)
I typically wear a liquid liner as well. I sometimes wear eye shadow, and I almost never wear blush (I’m pink enough without it normally!).
Again, the goal with makeup is to enhance what God has already given you… and to conceal any major blemishes or redness, etc. I realize makeup is kind of a controversial subject, but I believe it’s purely a personal matter. Feel free to leave your thoughts about makeup in the comments. 🙂
Style Your Hair
My fiance’ is constantly reminding me that my hair is my “glory” (1 Corinthians 11:15)… and that’s true for every girl! Hair is a blessing (even if it doesn’t seem like it some days!). The Bible says that long hair is a woman’s glory because it is given to her for a covering.
It’s amazing how often hair is mentioned in the Bible. My favorite is the verse that says God knows the number of hairs on my head. That amazes me because I find my hair everywhere, yet God cares enough about me to know how much I have 🙂
Anyways… all this to say. As a young woman, take care of your hair, which is your glory.
Besides taking care of your beautiful head of hair, have fun styling it every now and then! A couple years ago I invested in a curling wand that had three different attachments – one of my best purchases ever! I won’t go into great detail describing how I style my hair… but here is what I use and how I learned to use a curling wand.
How I Style My Own Hair
- I start off by using TRESemme Heat Protectant Spray
- Then I heat up my Kor Professional Curling Wand (using the smallest attachment)
- I usually curl my hair by putting it up in a ponytail and wrapping 1-inch sections around the barrel (I always wear the glove!). When I first began using my curling wand I followed the method I saw in Luxy Hair’s video, How to Curl Your Hair in 5 Minutes which does work very well. (If you watch the video, just ignore the music please!).
- Last but not least, I finish up using a hairspray like this one.
Also, my curling wand set came with a flat iron but I prefer curling my hair over straightening it. I bought my set on Amazon two years ago for about $70… right now the price is way higher. If you are looking to buy a curling wand I would shop around for a better price! I typically style my hair 2-3 times a week, but I know the heat does make my hair a little dry so I try not to overdo it.
→If you’re a girl, take care of your hair and have fun learning to style it. I don’t do much to my hair besides curling it, but experiment and find out what works best for you and your hair. Your hair is your glory…. learn to enjoy that beautiful part of your femininity! 🙂
“But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given her for a covering.” 1 Corinthians 11:15
Yes, God looks on the heart… but that doesn’t erase the fact that the world is looking on the outside. Is your external appearance healthy, radiant, and beautiful in a meek and quiet way? Or, do you neglect the outside thinking it’s too vain?
God cares the most about what’s in your heart, that inner radiance. But He also desires to have young women representing Him that are caring for, and properly adorning what He has already given them.
This was not my typical blog post… but what are your thoughts? How do you feel about beauty, makeup, skin care… the whole shebang?
Share your thoughts in the comments! I love getting your feedback! 🙂
(This post does contain affiliate links!)