Just a couple days ago I turned 19. I still can’t believe it. I’m pretty sure the past year has gone faster than any other year so far. I would have to say it’s been a pretty awesome year…when I think of all that I learned I would have to say it’s been one of my best years. No I am not kidding, and no, I am not trying to make it sound like my life has been great and easy – that would be a lie.
Thinking back over being 18 means reliving some of the worst and best days in my life. I laughed, I cried, I made memories…good and bad, I met new people, and learned new things about myself and my God.
Just a couple weeks ago I realized that I don’t cry as much. I smile a lot more and I am stronger than ever before… and that’s because of my God and His amazing grace.
There is no way I could remember all the things I learned while I was 18 but I decided to attempt a list anyways…
18 Things I Learned While 18
- My family members are the most important people in my life. Other people may come and go but my family members are always the same.
- I am a very vain and selfish person. It’s something I need to recognize and change.
- Disappointments aren’t the end of the world. Far from it.
- Getting out of my comfort zone increases my confidence.
- Trying new things is the best way to learn. That and reading books.
- Things will never get done unless I just buckle down and do them.
- Joyful and contented people are the best people to be around.
- There really is such a thing as peace that passeth all understanding.
- My job brings me so much joy. Joy is so much better than money.
- Music makes me ridiculously happy. Sometimes it makes me sad.
- Talking in person is way better than texting.
- God still answers prayer and works in unbelievable ways.
- The best thing I can ever do is seek and serve HIM.
- It’s really hard to find balance in life. But I need it.
- Coffee actually tastes good… very good. And naps? They are pretty amazing sometimes.
- It’s hard to get past my fears. But when I do it is liberating.
- I can always count on my pastor and my parents. They are there for me when I need them and they are some of the very best friends I could ever have.
- I never know what life is going to throw at me next. I just need to trust God and enjoy the ride.
I would love to know
What have you learned since your last birthday?