What do you think of when you hear the words “becoming beautiful?” Many of us probably think of a large mirror in a well-lit room, surrounded by dozens of makeup brushes, creams, powders, and amazing smelling perfumes.
What do we do before we leave the house? We probably look in the mirror to check our hair, makeup, and outfit. We want everything to be “just right” before we leave.
What if we started to use God’s Word the same way we use our bathroom mirror?
God’s Word is the best mirror any woman could use. It’s also the best beauty tool we have for becoming a beautiful woman. The first step we must take to become truly beautiful is to remove all the “ugliness” residing in our hearts.
Becoming Beautiful by Removing the Ugly
“For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.” James 1:23-24
God’s Word is a woman’s ultimate beauty tool. It’s wonderful mirror to check the condition of our heart. Inside the pages of His Word we find the things that make our hearts ugly as well as the things that will make our hearts beautiful.
Before we can become beautiful, we must first remove the ugliness from our heart. Here are the three steps we must take to remove the ugliness from our heart.
1) Identify the Ugly sin. When the Bible speaks about laziness, pride, anger, bitterness, or other heart problems, we should take a moment to examine our own heart. Is there a particular sin present in our heart? We must call a heart problem the same name God calls it… sin. Let’s not beat around the bush. If we have anger inside, we are sinning. If we are holding a grudge that means we have bitterness in our heart. God calls bitterness a sin. While we read God’s Word, let’s identify the ugly sins in our heart.
2) Confess the ugly sin. The next step to remove the ugly sin from our heart is to confess it. Again, we must call the ugliness the same name God calls it… sin. We cannot confess sin if we are unwilling to admit that we have sin in our heart! Confession is the second step to removing the ugly sin in our hearts.
3) Forsake the ugly sin. After confessing the sin we must forsake it. We must completely turn around and leave it behind. Once we leave it, we must not go back. Forsaking something means to leave it behind and never return. After confessing, let’s forsake the ugly sin.
Once we start to treat our Bible as a mirror for our heart, we will begin a life-changing journey of becoming beautiful.
I have divided this post into two parts. Next week we will look at Becoming Beautiful by Putting On the Lovely. You don’t want to miss part two!
Now it’s your turn
- Do you have a tendency (like me) to use your bathroom mirror more than the mirror of God’s Word?
- Do you have a hard time calling the ugliness in your heart by it’s real name… sin?
Consider these questions in your heart… if you would like to share your answers, feel free to leave a comment below. I ♥ hearing from you!
For further reading, consider checking out one of my favorite books: Beautiful in God’s Eyes by Elizabeth George.