I love studying the women of the Bible. My Sunday School teachers in high school taught us many lessons on the women of the Bible, and I think it’s natural for us girls to want to learn about them. It’s definitely important for you and I to study the lives of the women of the Bible.
Remembering some past lessons from my teachers, and some things I have learned while reading good Christian books, there are some “key women” in the Bible that we should study. We can learn a lot from any character in the Bible but studying these four women can help us very much as young women.
4 Women of the Bible Every Young Woman Should Study
1) the Foolish Woman of Proverbs
You may be surprised to see this woman at the top of my list! Why should we study her? Because we need know what kind of a woman we should not become and how we should not live our life. Proverbs has a lot to say about the strange woman and the foolish woman…. and it’s not very pretty! Proverbs has even more to say about the foolish man. As young women we can apply this in two ways. First, we need to make sure that foolish attributes are not found in our own life, and second, we need to be warned so we don’t marry a foolish young man. Tip: highlight verses talking about the foolish woman with a brown colored pencil. Highlight verses talking about a foolish man with a gray colored pencil.
2) The wise woman in Proverbs
Thankfully, the Bible gives us a peek into life and character of a wise woman as well. Often times, Proverbs talks about the wise woman in direct contrast to the foolish or strange woman. We should study her attributes and find out what God says a wise woman looks like. We should look for her shining and radiant qualities and ask the Lord to help us cultivate the same traits. Tip: highlight verses talking about the wise woman with a pink colored pencil.
3) The Virtuous Woman This woman is also found in Proverbs. I could have included her in #2 but she deserves a spotlight of her own. The Proverbs 31 Woman is every Christian woman’s ideal role model. She is the ultimate picture of female excellence. Many of her traits are related to being a wife and mother and I know many of us aren’t at that stage yet. However, whether or not we ever reach wife and mother status, we should study this woman because she is the woman God says will be praised. She is the kind of woman, wife, boss, neighbor, friend, and mother we should all strive to be no matter what stage of life we are in. Tip: search for the verses in Proverbs 31 that can apply to you right now. Highlight them in pink or purple.
4) Mary the Mother of Jesus
Chosen for the highest possible honor as a Jewish woman, Mary was the Mother of God’s Son! Scripture tells us she was highly favored by God and it’s clear throughout Scripture that she knew what the Old Testament said. She was a woman of the Word, she was humble, she was joyful, and she spent many years raising the very Son of God. If any woman in the New Testament deserves to be studied, it’s Mary! She wasn’t perfect but she was a woman who found favor in the eyes of God. We can learn very much from her life! Tip: take note when Mary speaks in Scripture… she was a thoughtful woman and more often than not, when she spoke, her words were full of wisdom.
A Special Tool for You!!
I just added The Foolish Woman vs. The Wise Woman Study Guide to my tools and resources page to go along with this post. If you are already subscribed to my site just enter the password to download the guide.
For more Bible study ideas and reading suggestions check out my list of books for Christian women!
I Would Love to Know
- Have you studied any of these women before?
- Were you surprised to see the foolish/strange woman on this list?
- Who will you study next?
I love hearing from you… feel free to leave me a comment below! ♥
For more Bible study ideas, read my most-shared blog post: 3 Biblical Topics Young Women Must Study